- It is not customary to pay tip in Japan. So, if you tip waitstaff in Japan, you risk being considered rude.
- In Japan it’s common that after someone does not want to keep a manga volume anymore, they leave it somewhere, such as on a table or a bench for someone to pick it up.
- There are more than 20 ways to apologize in Japanese. For example, “gomen”, “sumimasen”, “moushi-wake-gozaimasen”, “shitsurei-shimashita”, “o wabi-moushi-agemasu”, “yurushite-kudasai”.
- Japan has more than 70 flavors of Fanta, including Genius Energy, Snow Squash, and Hip-Hop. There have been more than 300 different Kit Kat flavors in Japan, including soy sauce, “European cheese,” and wasabi.
- Japan has more pets than children. The country has an estimated 22 million pets, but only 16.6 million children, under the age of 15.
- In Japan, more paper is used to print manga than toilet paper. No doubt Japanese people love Manga!
- Japan has a concept of Maid cafes, where the waitresses dressed in maid costumes, act as servants and treat customers as their masters.